A Little Bit of Everything

Girls…I started this post last Tuesday….and this is the first moment I’ve had to work on it again.  That is how crazy my life has gotten lately.  Only 12 working days until Christmas vacation and it is sorely needed this year.

Hi Friends!

I’m sorry I have been such a sucky blogger lately.  I think about writing a post all the time and then I just can’t make myself do it.  I’m not depressed…I just feel exhausted by life lately.  I have been reading all your blogs, I haven’t been commenting as much as I usually do but I am reading and keeping up with your stories.

A few weeks ago we headed to Minneapolis for Garth Brooks.  It was a wonderful weekend and the Best concert I have ever been to.  We had the perfect nosebleed seats…front of the balcony and he was straight out in front of us.  Plus we had end seats which made this “pee frequently” lady very happy, lol.  We did have to drive to the cities in a snowstorm which wasn’t the most fun thing, but we made it safe and sound.  We stayed in a beautiful hotel near the Mall of America.  We took a short nap and then headed to dinner at “The Melting Pot” before the concert.  It was delicious as always and the perfect way to celebrate 2 years of wedded bliss.  🙂  Here’s a few pics from the night:

IMG_3681 IMG_3685 IMG_3693 IMG_3676


Before we could start that wonderful weekend in the cities though, we first got a “Taste of Homelessness” the night before we left.  The event wasn’t as big as we would have liked, but it was the first year and due to having to wait on many outside sources to get back to us…we didn’t get as much advanced media coverage as we would have liked.  We had wanted to have a speaker there that could share their story of being homeless but just hadn’t had the time to find one.  Turns out, God had our backs and sent a woman and her daughter our way.  Their story was so moving and the daughter has already helped us with other things we’re doing for Family Promise.  Some of slept in our cars that night (one of the coldest nights of the year up til the last couple days) and some of us slept on the cold, concrete floor of the fair ground building.  Either way, none of us were comfortable or got much sleep.  Can you imagine then actually having to deal with the emotional and financial aspects of being homelessness on top of the physical aspect?

The following weekend was opening day for gun deer season so I was a widow for that whole week.  On top of that, we were dealing with the death of J’s good friend.  We also had Thanksgiving with J’s family the night of opening day.  It was more pleasant than I was expecting it to be and I’m looking forward to Christmas with them on the 20th.  Especially because it will be at our house where there is way more room to put everyone then there is at J’s Sister’s.

Thanksgiving day was spent with my Mom and Sister and her family at my Mom’s house about 30 min. away.  I LOVE being with my Mom and Sister.  The food and company were awesome and then my Sister and I continued our time together into the next day with Black Friday shopping.  Normally, we refuse to shop before Midnight, but because of our Friday being crazy with getting the float ready to be in the parade for Family Promise (a disaster that ended up not happening due to lack of time) and me having to go out of town for B’s visitation (more about that in a minute), we did start early.  We started in our hometown which I love because I get to see people I rarely see anymore and then went to LaCrosse (which is closer to my house now and a much bigger city) to finish.  We went to my house for a few hours to nap before going back out early Friday morning to finish up.  It is one of my favorite days of the year because I spend it with K and we’re always overtired and completely silly and laughing the whole night.  It’s the best!

Friday evening we went out of town for B’s visitation.  The obituary was completely confusing and when you googled the place of the visitation it takes you to the wrong town as we found out when there was nothing there resembling a chapel.  We then tried the funeral home in the town because that’s normally where a visitation is held anyways and it was completely dark.  Finally, I got a hold of one of J’s friends that we knew had just been there and got directions from them.  It was another half hour from where we had been.  Needless to say, I did not make it back to Tomah in time to walk in the parade like I was supposed to.  It was a difficult good bye to say and my heart broke all over again for J having to say good bye to another friend.   Saturday was spent decorating for Christmas while J hunted and then him and his cousins came back here to process the deer his cousin had gotten Thanksgiving morning.  There was drinking involved on their part and I went to bed completely pissed and irritated.  Sunday flew by and then boom…it was December.

This past week was just awful work wise.  I had a new baby start and she doesn’t sleep very long once you put her down.  That wasn’t the hard part though as I only had her about 4 hours a day.  The hardest part was my little stinker butt, D.  Oh my goodness is he just going through an awful phase!!!  He’s 18 months and he has already hit the terrible 2’s.  He’s defiant, he’s stubborn and he’s is SMART!!!!  He’s also gone from one of my best eaters to one of my pickiest.   The first half of the week the baby would be awake the first half of the kid’s normal nap time and then as soon as she was picked up, one of my other ones would wake up an hour earlier than normal.  I did not get more than an hour, maybe 2 of downtime in my 50+ hour week.

Thursday night, I got a text from the parent of one my dc kids from last year.  Mom had a baby right before school started so she decided to take the year off but then her brother was killed in a car accident right before Thanksgiving.  Her husband asked if I could take the kids yesterday to give her a break and I felt guilty saying no so I said yes and then asked my Mom to come and help me for the day.  It was fine when my Mom was hear but the last couple hours were terrible.  That baby really doesn’t sleep if you put him down and he was screaming at the top of his lungs but I had to get other kids changed and taken care of so I just had to let him cry while I did it.

I am going to give you all a tip right now.  As tempting as it may be to hold your baby all the time (especially after dealing with infertility and not knowing if that moment would ever come), DON’T do it!!!!  You can, despite what some people (supposed experts) say, spoil a baby.  Now, if you plan on being a SAHM and that’s what you want to do, go right ahead.  But if your child will be going to daycare, please do your provider a favor by putting your baby down sometimes and also letting them cry sometimes.  I promise you, it won’t hurt them and it’s good for their lungs.

Well, that’s it…a very long and rambling post about the last couple of weeks.  I’m impressed if any of you made it to the end of this post, lol.  I am going to finish enjoying my last hour or so of quiet until my husband gets home from reffing basket ball by watching the Hallmark channel, enjoying my Christmas tree lights, and cuddling with my pup.  Have a great weekend, Friends!

Lots of Love~Dawn

2 thoughts on “A Little Bit of Everything

  1. Oh my, you have been busy!!! It sounds like you had some happy and fun times with J and your families, and also some very heartbreaking and awfully hard days with the loss of B. It sounds like you are surviving it all, and really appreciating the special moments with family. Thinking of you through all of this and hoping you have more happy days ahead.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s