Today is Day 11 of Whole 30 from the original start point. Technically, you’re supposed to start over every time you screw up, but I am not doing that. Here is what I have learned so far:
1. Starting a lifestyle that’s mainly meat and veggies isn’t probably the smartest idea when you don’t like many veggies, lol.
2. My life really doesn’t mesh well with something as strict as Whole 30. I frequently have to leave for meetings as soon as I’m done with work (they’re usually at a restaurant) and I don’t get home until 8 or 9 at night. On top of that, being at home all day, can be difficult too. That probably sounds weird, but often, I’m so busy with the kids (especially if it’s nice and we can be outside) that by the time I get them down for naps and have the chance to eat…I am starving and let’s face it…when you’re starving, healthy food doesn’t sound good (well, at least not to me, lol). Also, J isn’t doing Whole 30 so there’s a whole lot of temptation in my kitchen that I have to try and ignore. Sometimes, I think it’d be easier if I had a desk job where I had to take my lunch to work and eat what I have with me.
3. Breakfast is going well. I think I’ve only started one day off wrong when my niece stayed overnight and J made us breakfast. Otherwise, it starts with eggs and veggies or a smoothie with fruits and veggies.
4. I really like raw spinach with strawberries and/or raspberries. No dressing needed.
5. I do think I will continue to incorporate more veggies into my meals when this is done and try to keep my carbs to smaller portions and add more healthy carbs like quinoa and brown rice.
6. I haven’t really been craving sweets too much which is awesome. We’ll see what next week brings because it’ll be the week before AF and I usually have major cravings during that week.
7. In general, I think I will eat smaller portions when this is over. I’ve been good at pretty much keeping it to 3 meals and if I do need a snack, it’s been grapes or strawberries.
8. Since I’ve been trying to eat healthy, I’ve also gotten back on the treadmill and have been doing C25K. Once upon a time, I could run a 5k. Not with any fantastic time or anything, but I could run 3.1 miles…in a row. Last night, I thought I was dying doing w2/d1. It’s a 5 minute warm up and then intervals of running for 1:30 minutes and then walking for 2 minutes and ending with a 5 minute cool down equaling 31 minutes. I could not breathe!!! I think this time around is way harder than when I first started learning to run. That may have to do with the extra 30 lbs I have on my body now. Either way, I can’t wait for the day I can run and breathe at the same time again.
9. My willpower still sucks, even when I have a group of people doing Whole 30 with me (and they are doing fantastic).
10. I’m really happy that I decided to attempt Whole 30. It’s just the thing I needed to get serious about making better food choices more often than not. I will say, that I am clearly still a stress eater. The kids have been awful this week because we went from beautiful, sunny, 70 degree days last week to being stuck inside yet again because of rain/snow this week. It’s these days that they’re just stinkers that I really find myself reaching for the carbs or caffeine.