Birth Story

Well, at least our part of it, lol.

Thursday afternoon, at 2:34pm, I received a call from our adoption agency.  L asked if I was busy and had a minute to talk and I said “yep, all the kids are napping so this is a good time.” and she said, “Well, I wanted to let you know that a Birth Mom picked you (at which point the freaking out began), and not only that but baby was born yesterday and she’s right here at the area hospital.”  I’m pretty sure I told her to shut up several times as I cried and lucky for me, a daycare parent walked in at that time to pick up her kiddo.  I asked L if I could run and tell J and call her right back.  I pretty much stayed on long enough to find out it was a girl and then I got off and asked my dc parent if she could stay for a few minutes while I ran to the school to tell J.  She could and all the kids were sleeping anyways so it’s not like it was crazy here at the moment.  I literally ran down the street and y’all, I am so out of shape.  By the time ran the half block and crossed the street to the school, I was dying (but I was also sprinting…no slow jog for me with that kind of news).  I caught my breath for a sec, ran up to the doors, got buzzed in and ran into the office at which point the admins were looking at me like, oh shit, this is not good.  I told them I needed to talk to J and that it was good news so one of them came with me down to the gym and motioned him out of class.  He could see me in the hallway before he got out and could see I was crying (but I swear I totally had a smile on my face) and thought it was bad news.  His first thought was oh shit, I can’t take anything else bad happening (they had just lost a dear co-worker the Friday before in a car accident).  I was like no, it’s good news, we were picked, baby is already here and it’s a baby girl and then I said, “I think you were just destined to be the Daddy to girls!”

At that point, I didn’t know when we were going to get to go to the hospital but I was hoping for as soon as I was off so I asked if he could skip football practice and just come home.  He went back into class after lots of hugging, kisses and tears and as I walked away from the gym, the whole class went up in cheers so I knew he shared the news with them.  It was so sweet!

I got back home and called L back and started getting some details.  At that point, BM was wanting to wait until Friday to have us come to the hospital and meet so we ended up not going until yesterday morning.  We got to the hospital about 10:35 and L met us in the lobby of the NICU floor at 10:45.  We spoke for a little bit about how BM and Baby were doing and we showed her the presents we got her to make sure she thought the one I had picked up that morning was a good idea before we gave it to her.  It was a stuffed elephant that had a place for a picture on the tummy and then you can record a message on it to hear when you press it’s foot.  We want to put a pic of her and A in it and then have her record a message for her to always here.  We also got her a sapphire necklace because that’s Sept. birthstone and it was placed in what looks like to anyone who’s been in band, a treble clef, almost and I just thought how that kind of represented how our families will always be intwined.  L thought they were both great so we then headed back to meet them.

We scrubbed in for 3 minutes before entering the floor and anytime you leave the floor, you have to re-scrub back in so I avoided that, lol.  When we got to the room, BM and her niece (they’re only a few years apart and niece is a huge support in BM’s life) were there and the Niece was holding A.  We introduced ourselves and immediately gave them hugs, big hugs for BM, and started chatting.  We got to hold baby a lot as we spoke and J got to change his daughter’s poopy diaper for the first time (he did good!).  L and the niece stayed until about noon or a little after.  Before they left, we shared the name we wanted to give her and BM loved it (Thank you Lord) and we also gave her the presents which she also loved.  We talked about all the coincidences from baby’s NICU nurse from the day before being a friend of mine (she stayed very professional while Mom was picking a family, but once they told her who she picked, she started crying and told BM that she knows me and what a long journey we’ve had), to the name being special to her, to her having a picture of her own similar to one of my baby pictures with brownie batter all over my face in our port.  She said that she felt a connection to us before she ever opened our folder and she just couldn’t stop staring at the pic of us and thinking how well A would fit into our family.  There were tears, although not as many on my part as I was expecting…I think I’m still in shock!  After L and A left, we stayed til just after 2pm holding baby and getting to know BM a bit more.  She is a total sweetheart and we really feel for her and the circumstances that led her to her decision.  We let her know that she can call/text anytime and we’re happy to do visits when she would like them.  We think it’s super important for A to have as much of a connection as she can and know how much love came into this decision her BM made.

We left after that to give BM some alone time with A and the plan that she would call/text when she was ready for us to come back.  We got home and J went to fb practice and I got in a short doze because I hadn’t slept well the night before at all!!!  She called and woke me about ten to 5pm to let me know she was being discharged and leaving so to come back anytime.  I waited for J to get home totally spacing he needed to go to the visitation for his co-worker.  He reminded me when he got home so he got ready and went to that and I headed straight for the hospital for some cuddling time with our daughter (God, it feels amazing to say that and I so hope and pray that I get to call her that for the rest of my life).

We were hoping that A would also get discharged yesterday but her feeding just weren’t quite where they want her to be.  They’d like to see 30cc’s about every 3 hours and she had only done about 20 the 2 feedings before.  The first one being sporadic because of all of us coming and going and the 2nd taking about 25 minutes.  I fed her about 8pm after they took the IV out of her head (holy heartbreaking…that tape was so stuck down and I felt so bad…and completely forgot that I had lemon oil probably sitting in my purse that would have really helped the sticky tape process…Mom fail already!).  The nurse put a little bit faster nipple on and she took about 20 cc’s again but much quicker (15 min) and she did a great job of sucking and then breathing through it with really no milk coming out of the corners so I’m really hoping she will get discharged this morning.  We decided to come home and get a good night’s sleep (which apparently for me was only 6 hours because I woke up unable to fall back to sleep at 5:30am today) and let the dogs out and then if she has to stay again tonight, which I really hope she doesn’t, we or me can stay with her tonight.  We left about 9:30pm to head back home and when we got here, my SIL was waiting for us with a new pack and play, a balloon, flowers and all sorts of outfits, diapers and wipes for little Miss.  She also did our dishes while she was waiting for us to get there…can you say Amazing?!

So that brings us to now.  My alarm is going to go off in about 15 min. and it’ll wake J up and then we’ll get ready and head back to the hospital.  BM said she was planning to come back again this morning to see her so hopefully she does because she didn’t get a chance to record her message on the elephant yesterday.  We are just hoping and praying we get to bring our little girl home today!

As I said yesterday, just to be on the safe side, we are waiting for TPR to really make an announcement on any kind of social media.  I’ve just been individually texting family and friends to let them know and even some of my best friends don’t know yet because I’m kind of waiting for that moment that we get to walk out of the hospital with her.  Family, you guys and our small group is about it so far.  Oh and all of WS middle school by now, lol.  🙂  I will continue to keep you updated and let you know when we finally get to bring her home.  Thank you for all the prayers and well wishes…they mean the world to us.  I always tell J that I have the best friends that I have never met and he always agrees!  He is just amazed by all the love and support you send our way and he thinks y’all are amazing also.

Lots of Love~Dawn

13 thoughts on “Birth Story

  1. I am so happy for you!!! Seriously I’m thrilled. I remember how hard our fee day wait was so i simply cannot imagine the 30 day wait you face but I know you can do it!!! And I’ll be here cheering you on the entire time!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s